Tuesday, January 16, 2007

TV

In the 80s, come Sunday and we would spend the whole day glued to the idiot box, starting with Disney time(or Rangoli in the late 80s) to Regional movie at 1.30PM (respite only if it is oriya or bhojpuri!)! It was those days when there was only one channel and one day with non-stop programmes. Still, it had variety, content & entertainment value. Thanks to TTM, for bringing out some great memories of those good old DD days!

Having said that, I remember my mother getting annoyed at our sitting infront of the box through out the day. With audiences of different age group always ready to continue the TV viewing, Sunday used to be her biggest head-ache day! I was a TV addict for a very long time (I am not one now b'cos I've become an Internet addict!).

Now that I am a mother, I now get my mother's point of view. Ever since my daughter started recognising characters on TV shows, I began to limit her TV viewing. Though she generally adheres to rules, there have been days when she wouldn't budge from the couch. One of the reason may be the subsequent unattractive alternative activity that awaits her.

One of my relative tells me that if we let the kids watch TV as much as they want, soon they will get bored with the repeat programs themselves and the problem gets solved by itself! I am not ready to take this risk as yet! In some other's houses I have noticed that they leave the television on the whole time that the kids are so used to being around it all the time that they only turn around to watch Advertisements and other catchy visuals and then go about doing whatever they are doing. Now I am concerned if my restrictions make her want to break the rules. Also, I wonder if my restricting and censoring would make her vulnerable/ignorant and if ugly realities and unwanted visuals would affect her later.


P.S. - It used to be such an awesome experience to watch the stories of Famous Five, Tintin on TV in those days. Today's kids are so lucky to be able to read their favourite stories & get to watch them almost as soon.

13 comments:

Me said...

....80's la nan paathadhu mickey and donald...around 8 on sunday morning before vanna kolangal and giant robot saturday evenings around 4:30....

... famous five & tintin lam tv la paatha maadhri nyabagamey illaye....

Syam said...

I am with Me...

and u r rite..innaiku 1000 channels and 100,000 programs irundhaalum..we feel like bored sometimes...continuous ah pongal programs 3 days paarthu...ithuku kolanga,selvi serial paravallanu thonuchu :-)

Me said...

..ayyo syam...ippo adhu selvi illa...arasi....;)

Raju said...

Enna orey nostalgia-va irukku Blogosphere-le? KK also was romba missing DD of old.. Ironically, now I get to watch DD as a part of the 'Hindi direct' package here but it is as good as dead..

In late 80's, Sunday literally meant TV-day.. :)

I guess 'reverse psychology' should work for ur daughter's TV mania..

Me too said...

me, though I meant watching favourite stories(FF, Tintin) on screen(big/small), Famous Five did come on Sunday mornings on DD(TTM might help with the year/month!).

syam, "alavukku adhigamaanaal...."

raju, DD deal dead-a? Too bad! what 'reverse psychology'?

Me said...

what 'reverse psychology'?

...idhuku dhan rajini padam paakanamgradhu....

...arunachalam padathula appa rajini oda appa avara(appa rajini aa) roomla potu pooti ...ella suruttayum neeye pidikanam nu solli...appa rajini oda suruttu pidikara aasaiyee illama panniduvaaru la adhu dhan rev psy....

...adha use panni...appa rajini..payyan rajini kita 100 crores panna kuduthu nee ellathayum selavu pannanam nu solliduvaaru..so that pannam mela irukara aasai pogarathukaaga....

...idhu maadhri...neengalum unga kuttiya..roomla potu pooti...naal fulla tv paka vechingana tv aasai yay poidum...

purinjidha reverse psy...& thalaivar padam oda perumai...:p

I said...

But Harry Potter is trash.

- I

Me too said...

me, neenga edhir katchi-ya??? :(

sriram, I won't be that harsh but definitely not the 'ooho' type!

D LordLabak said...

What hapened to Rangoli these days? Infeel kids now are not as lucky coz they have too many programs to have a sustained interest in any one of them.

Anonymous said...

@Me:
WoW!romba cinema,serials nu thaeriteenga.

@MeToo:
Reverse yella nadakadhu.These days kids are more smater than we think.
You keep your limitations asusual.
Thats the best.Once they get into regular time bound schdules,then they stick to that.

Anonymous said...

none of us who saw every serial in the 80s can be termed addicts - that's bcoz we had specific timings: 730pm serial always coincided with dinner so it wasnt a big investment.
Having fixed time for TV helps.

Tintin on DD ?!?! I never knew Tintin had a televised version till early 2000s.
Famous Five immediately followed Ek Do Teen Char(July 1986) and had a nice Title Song which terminated with Anne turning to look at the camera astride a horse. FF was good in the literary version, TV-wise 1-2-3-4 was much better.

Bala (Karthik) said...

I also didnt know Tintin was shown on DD...
I remember i and my pals watching "Jayanth" Robatt, as we'd call it :)

Me too said...

deepa, Rangoli still comes on Sunday mornings on DD1 but the chatter by compere and ads now take up more time than songs(and not many old songs too!).

skm, how I wish you were my neighbour!! Super themba irukkum!

ttm & b(k), like I mentioned earlier I meant on screen. I think I watched 'Tintin - Explorers on the moon' on VHS tape on TV and got mixed up!!