Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Dear Dad!

Moms somehow get enough or more attention from all quarters. Even while blog-hopping, I found quite a few posts on Moms but not on Dads(Let me know if there are any). I was pleasantly surprised when my brother told me that the day after Father's day(since Father's day falls on a Sunday) his office gave a 10 mins. break to all their employees to call & talk to their Fathers!!!

Another thing which prompted me to make this post is the movie, '5 Star'. One of the character's Father(played by Vijayan) is shown as a strict, hard-hearted Villager who though loves his son does not show it. The Father, in his own stern way, imposes all this thoughts and plans on his son that the son eventually leaves him and the country alltogether. Towards the end of the movie, the Father regrets his actions even though he did everything thinking he is doing it for his son's good. But the damage done is done and he dies never seeing his son again.

This kind of Fathers did(probably still do too) exist in our soceity(though not common in our generation, I guess). I myself know of friends who have such strict Fathers and I have many times felt mad at them. Though we all think we know and understand our parents and their situations well, it is only when we become one that it really sinks in. These days, I am glad that men (and women) seem more mature, more prepared and more expressive of their love and affection to their loved ones.

7 comments:

Balaji said...

"Though we all think we know and understand our parents and their situations well, it is only when we become one that it really sinks in." - Bingo! beautifully said. i've thot exactly the same thing so many times. especially when we consider that they didn't have many of the 'baby-raising' luxuries we have today like diapers, wipes, bottle-warmers, etc.

Raju said...

Well said.. I can correlate it well.. My dad was pretty strict and I loved my mom much more than him. As a child, one tends to take the love of the parents or anyone else for that matter, on face value. Dad's love gets noticed, felt and appreciated much later. I think girls like their dads more than boys do, though their love on mom is much less variant. In some families, the father 'decides' to be strict in order not to spoil the child with excessive love. In such case, he becomes the virtual 'scapegoat'.

mitr_bayarea said...

Aparna- nicely expressed. Most men of the earlier generations and men who are sons now still have some sort of a fear cum negative sorta relationships with their fathers. Of course, there are fewer men who have been brought up by a father figure as a friend in their lives. Hence, it is interesting to note that most men tend to be much more affectionate to their moms than dads.

On the contrary side, dads show special love to their daughters and inspite of their strict over-protective natures, it is the daughter who has her father's affection till the end. I am sure that every daughter will like both parents equally, but i think it is safe for me to conclude that a father is much more poignant in a girl's life.

Devilish Angel said...

My dad is friendly with me...

Me too said...

Balaji, It really surprised me when one of my 'old-fashioned' Aunt thought those gerber baby foods were so cool!!!

Raju, men were made to believe that being expressive of emotions were not manly!! Hence the stern mask, I guess.

Mitr, I am observing that a family with only girls or atleast one girl is more close knit than a family with only boys.

Vanathi, thanks for your comments and welcome!

tt_giant said...

Well, in my case i have no sisters. so cannot relate to what you guys say exactly.

my dad was strict until i was in 10th or so. then he was pretty easy going.

but i do think that dad's are under-appreciated in general.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! oils and cholesterol food products that lower cholesterol 1999 gmc safari window problems Case seo study Field hockey field dimensions Dental osha checklist